22 Nov 2017 | Exploit leads to down time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ItzDazePlayz, Nov 22, 2017.

1. ItzDazePlayz

ItzDazePlayz Member

Recently on November 27th, 2017 at around 3:10 pm NZST a user known as Robin_TR performed an exploit on JailsMC causing the server to crash leaving it with a drastic downtime. Dozens of players were left clueless well the server was down for a few hours. No administrators were around to fix the issue due to the time that it happened. All administrators are in GMT+00:00 or timezones surrounding the United Kindom. The server should be back online around 7:00-8:00 am GMT or 7:00-8:00 pm NZS. The server may come online before then, but this is just a rough estimate time to expect the server to be online. This isn't the first time that this issue has happened but its the first time it has caused a server-wide crash. The first time it happened an exploit was accidentally found by a user, Don't remember their username. But it was never carried out to the extent of a server crash. Before the crash the server didn't recognise players mining, so the server didn't let off the explosion enchant and players could move freely but not /warp. They could break any block they wanted to and chat in the text chat. This all happened this time except for the server crashed this time and due to no auto reboot being in place the server has not come online.

If you have any information on how this exploit is performed please contact an administrator of JailsMc immediately.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused to all player that were online at the time and those who were wishing to join. We that you for your patients well this issue gets sorted out.

Sincerely,
    Daze

#1 ItzDazePlayz, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. wsyd69

wsyd69 New Member

Well we don't actually know that it was caused by a Exploit. We just know that a player joined and said why havnt you guys exploited yet? So we can only Assume that the server crashed because of some other unknown error. It is understandable that you think he did this because of what Robin_TR but again it could have just been bad timing But it does seem like the person did do something to possibly make the server crash.

3. ItzDazePlayz

ItzDazePlayz Member

I presume it was caused by the exploit as it is the second time this has happened due to an exploit but the first time it didn't crash the server. He is a highly suspect in the crash but I can't say he definitely did it. I believe that whatever the exploit was put to much pressure on the servers hosting box causing it to crash. This post is only really to inform people of the downtime and why it possibly happened. This post was also made to inform the administration team of what may have lead to the failure of the server. If you have any information on the exploit I advise you to contact the administration team.

4. EukalyptenHD

EukalyptenHD Active Member

Hey thanks for this, I personally have no clue since I was asleep all this time and just woke up but maybe it would help to know if the player was a new player or an old player who just hadn't ranked up yet etc and is still rank A or something.

An executive staff will solve this ASAP while looking through the logs I presume.

It's probably not even an exploit but a DDOS?

I'm not sure...

• Like Like x 1
  5. ItzDazePlayz

ItzDazePlayz Member

The first time something like this happened it was a player with a rank. But this time it was a new player, that hadn't ranked up and this time whatever they did caused a server crash. If you need any more detail I can assist you with more. The other user that was online at the time was @wsyd69.

Kind Regards,
    Daze

6. EukalyptenHD

EukalyptenHD Active Member

Just list everything you got so that it would be easier for the executive staff to see what exactly happened and not just scrolling thorough the logs.

E.g. was it something to do with the water fall or money or bots etc

7. wsyd69

wsyd69 New Member

@EukalyptenHD Tbh i have no idea what he was going on about ill give you some pictures of chat from my .minecraft logs folder.
    this one is from when he first joined on the server.
    http://prntscr.com/hdohdp
    this is the last bit of logs i have before the server crashed. the red line marks the point were he starts talking about exploiting or what ever he was trying to say.
    http://prntscr.com/hdojsk

Other then this I don't know what happened, again i don't think he was exploiting only because i don't have any true evidence of it. you can see in my logs that i warped to a mine to see if there was something with the mine he was talking about but i didn't see any thing but him walking around by the little water stream. It could have Been a ddos but I don't know how likely that would be, then again this is Minecraft.

Sorry if this isnt much help but its all i have on this. I'm sure that A dev or Icy can find out more information.